A Profane And Merciless Satire About The British Government And The Art Of Spin Control
The British political satire "The Thick of It" wrapped its fourth season in 2012, so this Complete Seasons 1-4 package is a good way to get caught up with this ribald comedy. Created by Armando Iannucci, this sitcom (at times) plays as a fairly conventional workplace comedy driven by awkward moments and uncomfortable blunders. The cast here struggle valiantly to keep their heads above water, maintain a dignity in the most unprofessional situations, and deal with the incompetency of those around them. Here's the thing that separates "The Thick of It," though. This workplace just happens to be in the top offices of the British Government. I have often heard the series described as "The Office" meets "Yes, Minister" which I think is a fair statement. When Iannucci has described the series, however, he has opted to use "Larry Sanders" crossed with "Yes, Minister" as a reference point. So, hopefully, that gives you an idea of the show's tone and humor if you have not been lucky enough to...
If you liked the BBC version "The Office" you'll love this.
After the detailed review by my fellow Top 100 Amazon Reviewer, K Harris, I can't add much more as I'd be repeating him but - as he said - this is the "real thing" with all the graphic language of the BBC original and hilarious scenes plus LOTS of bonuses - commentaries, specials, etc.
I will say that it is much closer to The Office than any other BBC comedy (like Fawly Towers), especially in the camera technique. When you watch even the first 15 minutes you will recognize the technique: The hand held camera. And, to be honest, that is not for everyone. It jumps and jitters - even more than in The Office, I think - and might give folks a headache (that is if the laughter doesn't take your mind away from it.). So,, while I can heartly recommend the set, I'll suggest that you watch a preview before going for the whole set.
But aside from the above warning, I found the show a great satire on government politics - in a completely different way from the BBC's "House...
TOO MUCH LIKE REALITY
If you've love (or even like) "Veep," and "In the Loop," satire, you'll love this. Peter Capaldi is smart and very funny. And I love the dvd 'cause you can see it on your own time -- or as many times as you like.
Click to Editorial Reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment