Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fridays: The Best Of



Full season sets preferred but...
According to Shout this "Best of" set will consist of 16 (out of 58 total) episodes "with vintage musical performances, including Devo, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, The Cars, The Clash, KISS, Graham Parker and The Rumour and more, as well as the show's infamous guest appearances by stars such as Andy Kaufman, Billy Crystal, Valerie Harper, and William Shatner..."

Andy Kaufman appeared on the show 3 times. Those were S2E19 with the infamous marijuana sketch, S2E20 with the taped apology for the prior weeks' program, and S3E1 where he hosted for the second time.

Here's a update with a full list of episodes included. Unfortunately it's now reported that some musical performances have been cut. They are indicated in the list:

S1E1 (April 11, 1980): Musical guest Kenny Loggins performs "Keep the Fire"
S1E3 (April 25, 1980): Musical guest The Clash performs "London Calling", "Train in Vain", "Guns of Brixton", "Clampdown"
S1E8 (June 6, 1980):...

Great Series! Support it for More Fridays DVDs!
According to all the early information...Shout Factory has assembled a nice release here for Fridays! Fans of the show and those new to it will enjoy this collection of 16 shows and good amount of extras such as a cast and write reunion from early 2013, behind the scenes photos, recollection of the Andy Kaufman incident & More.

Some may wonder why we only see 16 of the 58 shows - when Shout currently plans release the full several year series of the old Dobie Gillis show... Shout has had to invest more for the music rights behind the Fridays shows - and has had a lot more red tape to deal with in general with this series. It is one of the reasons the show has taken this long to be released.

Fridays was originally on during my childhood and is a long time favorite of mine. I enjoyed it more than SNL at the time. I'm not affiliated with Shout Factory but I would like to see more of this series released on dvd, so please support this dvd release by pre-ordering...

Better than zip, which is what we've had up till now!
Was hoping like many fans of the show to see it come to light in it's entirety but I suppose this will have to suffice. I do understand it's difficult when it comes to music clearance, just happy to see SHOUT! step up and get it out finally!

Many were speculating if the music performances would be cleared ever since the announcement that SHOUT! had aquired the rights to the show. Now we know.

SHOUT! did a great job on many sets including SCTV and I like the fact there's a studio out there that will put out what most won't even touch.

Here's hoping that they pick a great selection of skits but I'm sure there will be some good ones and fan favorites that will not make it.

Still glad to see at least some of the show out on a legit set. I guess this is good as it gets!

When Fridays first debuted it knocked out SNL as my favorite show on TV, but I still watched SNL regardless. Having no car back then staying home on the weekends was...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment