Monday, September 23, 2013

Boom Varietal: The Rise of Argentine Malbec



Playful and Timely Documentary on the Popular Red Wine
Niche-area documentaries can be a tricky proposition for audiences. Not only do the filmmakers rely on the audience's presumed interest (or ability to be interested) in a niche topic, but the film itself needs to be sufficiently entertaining or informative. I came to BOOM VARIETAL, a film about the recent popularity of a red wine from Argentina, a mostly naive viewer: I don't know much about wine and even less about wine culture. Perhaps then, it is a testament to filmmakers of BOOM VARIETAL that I found the movie interesting and fun.

BOOM VARIETAL follows the strange history of the Argentine Malbec, one of wine's underdog stories. What is Malbec? Malbec is a fruity red wine originally created in Europe. After several years, someone discovered that the dry Argentinian climate would be an ideal environment for growing the grapes that are used in Malbec. With the increased production and export of Argentine Malbec, the wine has become widely successful and popular...





Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment