Thursday, September 19, 2013

Scapegoat



Double Your Pleasure: A Wildly Entertaining Adaptation Of A Classic Daphne Du Maurier Novel
I really went into the film "The Scapegoat" with moderate expectations. Having never heard of this version of the Daphne Du Maurier novel, I thought I'd take a chance and maybe have some fun. But I didn't anticipate that I would absolutely LOVE the movie and I did! I had seen the 1959 British melodrama version of "The Scapegoat" with Alec Guinness and Bette Davis, so I already knew the primary plot points of this rather far-fetched story. But within minutes, I had given myself over to this new interpretation. What works so well, I think, is that the screenplay does an excellent job of balancing the disparate tones of the piece. Funny, mysterious, romantic, dangerous, and even poignant--every time the picture shifted in emotion or mood, I willingly followed with it. And as improbable as the plotting can be, I surrendered myself to the experience for the sheer love of movies! Lush and well acted, I really think that "The Scapegoat" is a movie destined to be discovered and...

Good acting makes this work
Matthew Rhys is the reason to see this film. The story is a bit far fetched but Rhys is so interesting and likable that it's worth seeing.

There are no English subtitles so if you have a problem hearing or understanding British English you may miss some of the dialogue.

Good Film
I just watched THE SCAPEGOAT on Netflix streaming and, if there had been a Region One DVD available i would have bought it in a heartbeat. Really fine film, with Matthew Rhys and Eileen Atkins leading an excellent cast. Why no Region One????

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment